Job Opportunity – DME Technician – Birmingham, AL
Who We Are
StateServ Medical is the premier durable medical equipment (DME) provider in the hospice industry. We have provided hospice focused DME services across the United States for the past decade, offering services from both our Brick and Mortar operations and through our Network of over two-hundred fifty DME providers. StateServ has network coverage across 48 states and is the only DME Benefit Manager to implement multiple national hospice organizations.
If you enjoy working with people in need, like variance in a daily routine, and enjoy being out and about this may be the role for you!
Position: Durable Medical Equipment Technician
The DME Technician drives a box truck and receives a new route daily. Regular and reliable attendance at the employer designated work site is an essential function of this job. This person delivers, exchanges, sets up and picks up durable medical equipment, respiratory equipment and supplies at the patients’ physical location (e.g., residence, adult care home, assisted living, long term care facility, etc.). Technicians generally make 10-15 stops per day. They are the “face” of StateServ Medical. They provide excellent patient care by delivering and setting-up medical equipment, and instructing patients and/or caregivers on the proper use and care of equipment compassionate and respectful manner. As part of a customer service team, technicians also maintain an awareness of patients’ conditions and needs, and communicate that information to the appropriate staff.
Responsibilities include the following:
- With general supervision, receives a daily route and assignments and prepares the truck for delivery by scanning and pulling stock. (e.g., wheelchairs, hospital beds, bathroom aids, medical supplies, etc.), staging equipment for delivery based on the order of the route, and loading equipment on the truck following safety standards and standard operating procedures.
- Participates with supervisor/manager to conduct a daily assessment and verification (Pre-Trip Inspection) of the truck, equipment and supplies and confirm basic safety operations (e.g., lights, brakes, mileage, vehicle appearance, etc.).
- Follows the daily route to accomplish timely delivery, pick up and/or exchange of requested hospice equipment. This includes the use of Company scanning systems to track equipment; unloading and set up of authorized equipment to the point it is fully functional and meets customer expectations; breaking down, loading and segregating returning and outgoing equipment and supplies onto the truck and following established safety procedures (which includes but is not limited to identifying hazmat symbols, wearing protective safety gear and red-bagging and handling contaminated equipment in a safe manner).
- In a courteous and respectful manner, reviews basic equipment operation and instructs patients and/or caregivers on the proper use and care of equipment as well as performs safety assessments of each patients environment following the standard safety checklist.
- Maintains continuous communication with the customer service team to relay a change in an order status or non-compliance with prescribed orders, position in routes, stock availability and confirm delivery and pick up of equipment. This includes but is not limited to communicating check-in/out of equipment, re-routing, availability of rolling stock, and location information via smart phone communication. Additionally, escalates issues or potential issues to the customer service team as appropriate.
- On a daily basis, completes and maintains the driver log, the vehicle check out, the vehicle inspection and the oxygen manifest to ensure compliance with the Department of Transportation.
- Responds to emergency calls and new patient orders to deliver equipment as needed during regular business hours and during on-call rotation as defined by respective leadership.
- Upon completion of routes, unloads returned equipment following safety and handling procedures. Checks in using Company scanning systems and confirms equipment with warehouse personnel for proper sanitation and cleaning. Submits completed driver paperwork and logs as required.
- Stocks delivery trucks with rolling stock to ensure “ready” condition for the next delivery.
- Following standard operating procedures and safety procedures, assists with warehouse functions to include cleaning and sanitizing equipment, following standard operating procedures for safe handling and decontamination.
- On occasion, assists the warehouse by receiving and confirming new equipment, which includes barcoding and scanning equipment following standard operating procedures.
- Participates in on-going staff meetings, training activities and continuing education to maintain relevant understanding and knowledge of equipment, new procedures and processes.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the role include the following:
Education, Work Experience, Related Experience and Licensure:
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- A current state issued driver’s license is required
- Ability to pass a motor vehicle records check (MVR) having it show no major violations (including DUI) in the past 3 consecutive years, no more than 2 minor violations or at-fault accidents in the past 3 years and no more than 1 moving violation in the past 3 years. If between the ages of 21 and 25, MVR must be clean with NO violations and have a valid drivers license in effect for at least 3 consecutive years
- At least six months experience in which incumbents regularly interface with customers is essential to perform customer services functions as described
- Experience in the healthcare or medical fields in which incumbents have worked with durable medical equipment is preferred
- One year previous delivery or warehouse experience preferred
Specialized Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- The ability to operate a 14-16 foot box truck in a safe manner is essential
- The ability to follow a city map and navigate a new daily route is required
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service skills are necessary as is the ability to remain customer service oriented during situations in which patients or caregivers may be frustrated or upset
- Spanish speaking skills are desirable but not required
- The ability to read, write and follow written and oral instructions is required to ensure accurate completion of DME deliveries, exchanges and pick-ups
- Working knowledge and experience with smart phones is required to relay information to customer service and perform on-call coverage
- Ability to utilize basic tools e.g., wrench, screwdrivers etc. to set up durable medical equipment
Physical Requirements and Demands:
- This role entails prolonged sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling and climbing in and out of the truck
- Incumbents must have the ability to lift and carry durable medical equipment that weighs up to 75 lbs. for a moderate period of time (25% – 50% of the day)
- For those sites that dispense liquid oxygen, incumbents are required to occasionally lift pull, push, and carry containers up to 100 lbs.
- Frequent bending, twisting, grasping and squeezing and occasional kneeling, climbing stairs, reaching above the shoulder is required to transport and set up medical equipment as described
- Regular and continuous eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity is required to set up durable medical equipment
Work Environment, Conditions and Demands:
- Heavy daily local travel is required to perform delivery and pick up of equipment as described
- Stocking and unloading work is performed in warehouse environment but largely, work requires the operation of a motorized vehicle to deliver and pick up equipment as described. Technicians are exposed to weather as a daily condition of the role.
- On a very frequent basis, technicians are required to handle and transport compressed oxygen
- Technicians may experience occupational exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials while delivering and picking up durable medical equipment
- The ability to maintain a flexible schedule to accommodate unplanned events and participate in an on-call rotation is essential
NOTE: To apply for this position, please send your resume and/or relevant work experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
- StateServ is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive compensation and benefits DOE.